The NSW State Government has been called on to name a date for when live music can return across the state.
Labor Shadow Minister for Music and the Night Time Economy, John Graham, has urged Premier Gladys Berejiklian and her Government to map out a return for when venues can reopen their doors.
“NSW is the only state without a plan for music venues,” Graham said.
“Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia, the ACT and the Northern Territory are all ahead on this.”
While restaurants and pubs will be able to allow up to 50 people in their venues from 1 June, there currently is no update on when live music spaces can return.
“Music and entertainment businesses have been some of the hardest-hit during the economic crisis. These venues are haemorrhaging money. They’re often small businesses. They need time to plan to reopen safely,” Graham said.
“We know reopening live music venues will boost community morale and wellbeing. Crucially it also mean jobs."
“Importantly, any reopening must be based on health advice. It still should be possible to provide a date and detailed plan for reopening.”
Changes to the regulations around for-purpose entertainment venues in other states include:
- Victoria - up to 50 patrons will be allowed in indoor cinemas, movie theatres, concert venues, theatres, arenas, auditoriums, and stadiums from 11.59 pm on 21 June.
- Queensland - up to 20 people will be allowed inside concert venues, theatres, arenas, auditoriums and stadiums from 12 June
- South Australia - up to 20 patrons will be allowed per room in cinemas and theatres with venues allowed a total maximum of 80 patrons under the ‘Stage 2’ plan being implemented from 1 June
- Tasmania - up to 20 people will be allowed to gather including in cinemas, theatres, and performance venues from 15 June
- Western Australia - concert venues will be permitted to open with gathering limits as part of the state's 'Phase 3' plan expected to commence mid-June
- Northern Territory - cinemas, theatres, nightclubs and entertainment venues may begin trading again from 12:00 pm on 5 June so long as they comply with industry-specific guidelines
- Australian Capital Territory - up to 50 people in concert venues, theatres, arenas, auditoriums or stadiums for rehearsals and small performances from mid-July