Triple J Content Director Ollie Wards has spoken in response to those lashing out at the youth radio station's decision to change the date of the Hottest 100 countdown.
Speaking to The Sydney Morning Herald, Wards is understanding towards the minority of people upset by the decision to move the countdown from its usual date of 26 January.
"I know change can be difficult, but when they're ready we'll be here having the same old music countdown.”
Wards went on to dismiss Senator Cory Bernardi’s attempt to rival the Hottest 100 with his own playlist earlier in the week.
"He [Bernardi] can do what he wants," Wards said.
"At the end of the day, if somebody is promoting and celebrating Australian music, that's what we're all about."
- What's In A Date? We Look At The Political Reaction to Triple J's Hottest 100 Date Change
- Triple J Change Hottest 100 Date
- Triple M Takes Aim At Triple J & Launches Own Australia Day Top 100 Playlist
- Darren Hayes Leads Backlash Against Cory Bernardi's Hottest 100 Protest Playlist
- Jimmy Barnes, Bernard Fanning & More Slam Cory Bernardi's Hottest 100 Protest Playlist
Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives aren’t the only group pushing back against the decision with commercial radio station Triple M announcing their Ozzest 100 countdown to run on Australia Day.
Wards is hopeful that the change in date will go over smoothly with the station still contemplating how to move forward with the countdown in the coming years.
"The way the weekend falls does change, which is out of everyone's control. We'll review how it all goes and make an announcement about the 2019 dates in the near future," Wards said.
The triple j Hottest 100 will broadcast this Saturday (27 January) at midday AEDT.