A neon light transformer has caused a fire at a popular Melbourne nightclub overnight. 

As Herald Sun reports, were alerted to the blaze at Pawn & Co in Prahran at around 3.45am, which swept through the first floor of the two-storey club.

A statement released by the Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade reported that 28 firefighters were called to the club which was closed at the time of the incident.

The fire was contained within the venue and under control in 25 minutes. There were no reported injuries.