The renowned American Express Openair Cinemas experience returns from next month, with the newly beefed-up national program getting under way in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
The reinvigorated event will feature more than just an array of excellent movies, with organisers broadening their horizons to include a range of food, music, arts and other fun to complement their cinematic offerings.
Guests will be able to experience more than 60 events across Brissy and the Coast, including live music and DJ performances ahead of the nightly screenings — stay tuned for line-up announcements in the near future — as well as a 'Crafty Corner', offering masterclasses in knitting, macrame and more.
There will also be areas of intrigue from the 'Pimp A Pineapple' activity, hands-on hair-braiding tutorials and even the opportunity to get some quality time with a canine companion as part of the Doggy Dates initiative, raising funds for the RSPCA.
If it's your belly you're more concerned with, Openair Cinemas has got you covered on that front too: Salt Meats Cheese promises Roman-inspired delights at their alfresco long-table dinners, a three-course meal paired with wine.
The dinners have been crafted under the care of Stefano De Blasi and Edoardo Perlo, who will curate the daily menu and give diners the chance to experience their signature truffle pecorino pasta as well as dishes such as their arancini antipasti and wood-fired pizzas.
To wet the old whistle, a dedicated cocktail bar will be keeping things fresh and tropical, along with 4Pines craft beer and Giesen Wine for those looking for something a little simpler.
And that's not even mentioning the film program, which features a group of highly regarded new flicks along with one very special classic favourite in a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. See the bottom of the article for the full program.
Brisbane's events will be held at the Rainforest Green at South Bank Parklands from 6 October to 19 November, while the Gold Coast's turn will come from 19 October to 19 November at Queen Elizabeth Park, Coolangatta.
Following these stops on the trans-Tasman American Express Openair Cinemas tour, audiences in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Perth will get their turn to experience the good times before the whole thing hops the ditch to hit Auckland and Christchurch.
Tickets start at $12.50 and are available now via the Openair Cinemas website; AMEX cardholders have access to VIP and discount options, so be sure to read the fine print if that's you.
American Express Openair Cinemas: Film Program
- Logan Lucky — Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and Daniel Craig plan the heist of the century.
- The Big Sick — The dramatic and hilarious true story of Kumail Nanjiani's love story with his wife, Emily V. Gordon.
- Battle Of The Sexes — Emma Stone and Steve Carell star as Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in the historical tennis match of 1973.
- It — A Halloween screening of the adaptation of Stephen King's iconic novel.
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle — The British secret service is back, and they've got US backups.
- Blade Runner 2049 — Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford star in the sequel to the '80s classic.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show — It's time to do the Time Warp again.